Frequently Asked Questions: Court Appearances (Witnesses/Victims)

Court Appearances (Witnesses/Victims)
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where is the Nashua District (9th Circuit District Division) Courthouse located?
A:  The courthouse is located at 30 Spring Street in Nashua, New Hampshire. For directions please visit the Hillsborough County 9th Circuit District Division Court Directions at the New Hampshire Judicial Branch home page or here for map.

Q: Who should I look for?
A: Attorney Joseph Tessier and Court Liaison Officer Bryan Genovese are currently the members of the Legal Division.  If you are unable to locate either member, please ask a court bailiff to point you in the right direction.

Q: What do I need to bring with me?
A:  Please be sure that you bring the subpoena you received to the Courthouse. This subpoena will be used to calculate and compensate witness fees.

Q: What should I wear?
A:  A neat and clean appearance is very important for court. You should be comfortable, yet appropriately dressed for court (i.e. no hats, shorts, etc.). Avoid distracting mannerisms such as chewing gum.

Q: How will I be compensated for my court appearance?
A.  Neither the Hudson Police Department nor the Circuit Court, are responsible for witness reimbursement. Witness fees are paid by the NH Department of Justice, Witness Payment Unit. Please visit the Witness Payment Program at the New Hampshire Department of Justice website for more information.

Q: What if I am unable to make it to court on the given date and time?
A.  If you have a legitimate reason (i.e. prescheduled vacation, surgery, etc.) please contact the Legal Division and we can attempt to postpone the case to a more convenient date. Keep in mind that a Judge must "grant" any request to postpone a case, please be advised that childcare issues or work are usually not legitimate reasons to excuse you from court.

Q: May I be compensated for damages incurred by the defendant?
A.  Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that every case will result in compensation to the victim. If you are the victim of a crime, please contact the Hudson Police Department's Victim Witness Advocate at (603)816-2240 to discuss the restitution process or by checking the Victim Compensation (Assistance Commission) website at the New Hampshire Department of Justice for more information.

Q: How long should I expect to be in court?
A.  Morning trials are scheduled to begin at 8:15 am and cases are not selected in any given order. The court recesses from 12:00 pm until 1:00 pm for lunch. We do realize that it is difficult to take time from your day to appear as a witness and we will do our best to get you out as quickly as possible. You are more than welcome to bring something to read to pass the time.

Q: What do I do if I am contacted by a defense attorney?
A.  If you are approached by the defense requesting information about the case, you may or may not talk to them. It is your choice.

Q: Will the court case be cancelled or postponed due to inclement weather?
A.  For information regarding court closings please contact the Circuit Court at 855-212-1234 or visit the online court closing inclement weather website.